Search the craziness.

Sunday, June 3, 2018

The Great Outdoors

I am in Oklahoma today, camping in one of our favorite places. We have enjoyed the company of many people we have met here over the years. I have new eyes for the meaning of it all now, though. In the past, we enjoyed the fresh air, hiking  swimming, grilling chicken and toasting marshmallows. When my kids were little though, I didn't have time to sit back and enjoy the peace of the moment and the beauty of it all. Today, my hubby and kids went hiking up the mountain which I can no longer do because of my balance problems. But I am sitting in the shade enjoying my second cup of coffee watching a squirrel eat mulberries from the ground when a deer comes unusually close. He is probably no more than ten feet away, watching me intently. Suddenly, he gets bored with me so he turns and walks up the hill. This has happened here more times than I can count, but I always get the same little thrill inside when the wildlife gets close. I am so relaxed with the breeze blowing those little rebellious hairs around my face and the birds singing a sweet little tune. I realize that this is an encounter with God himself. None of the critters or their habitat would be here without him.
In Genesis, he created the animals and then made Adam the master of them. But I don't think master means we control them. We, of course, eat many of them and we also keep some as pets but encountering them in their natural habitat is exciting to us, even entertaining at times. I would even go so far to say that I love observing these complex creatures.
God is the master of us, as well.  I imagine he receives joy when we pay attention to him. When we are curious like the deer, I imagine he watches and patiently waits for us to come closer. Earlier my daughter threw a mulberry to a squirrel and it ran away. I imagine that happens when God tries to interact with us and we don't realize that what he is tossing to us is actually something good.  He is eager to interact with us.  All we need to do is come closer, take the grace that he offers and then share it with everyone else.
Many of us are like the cat that is apathetic to Him until we need or want something. But I want to be like my dog who is always happy to see me and ready for a game of fetch.
God has my life in his hands right now. And what will I do with that? As for this moment, I am basking in the warm sunshine and marveling at God's artwork.  Later, we might invite the neighboring kids over for some smores. Oh look, a sissortail...

No comments:

Post a Comment